Ajayi targets Commonwealth Games gold after London Diamond League triumph



By Maxwell Kumoye 
 
 
 

Nigeria's sprint sensation Kayinsola Ajayi has declared himself ready for the 2026 Commonwealth Games after storming to victory in the men's 100 metres at the London Diamond League on Saturday.

The 21-year-old produced another outstanding performance, clocking 9.84 seconds to defeat reigning world champion Oblique Seville of Jamaica, who settled for second in 9.87 seconds, while Great Britain's Romell Glave finished third in a personal best of 9.97 seconds.

Fresh from one of the biggest wins of his career, Ajayi said he executed his race plan perfectly and is now looking forward to carrying the same form into the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, where athletics begins on July 23.

"I just came out here and did what I had to do… I'm happy; I got the job done," Ajayi told Olympics.com after his impressive victory.

The Nigerian speedster credited his explosive start for making the difference against a world-class field.

"I got out of the blocks like 'Boom!' I knew that if I did my start [well]… then everything was over," he said.

Ajayi's winning time equalled his season's best and further underlined his status as one of the fastest men in the world this year. 

The two-time and reigning NCAA collegiate champion has continued his rapid rise, with the London triumph providing another major confidence boost ahead of Glasgow.

The victory also sends a strong message to his Commonwealth Games rivals, as Ajayi confirmed he will line up for Team Nigeria at the Games in Scotland.

With momentum firmly on his side following his London heroics, the young Nigerian will head to Glasgow determined to convert his scintillating form into Commonwealth Games gold and further cement his reputation as one of athletics' brightest sprint stars.

Comments

...IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Olukismet FC pens monumental deal with Hungarian top-tier side Kisvarda

Experience, effort — Edo State's rise to Table Tennis success, Coach Goriola Olayiwola Wahab

Hammer thrower Falana vows to rule Africa

NPBL shockwaves, Hoops N’ Read almost out as Kano Pillars humble Lagos Legends

Poor scheduling of the Games, the reason behind Algeria’s underwhelming outing — Dr. Hafed Amine

NFF President, SSA to the President, others, arrive Morocco ahead of Playoffs

Support from family, fans and state fuels my drive — Long Jump gold medalist, Gowon Oghenerunor Gift

D'Tigers overcome travel woes to seal first win in Angola

Benin, Togo, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana athletes set for Dynamic Athletics Meet in August

Infantino proposes players send-off for covering their mouths in confrontations